The Marjorie S. Deane Little Theater
SU\COMMUNITY ARTS HOME > Visual Arts | Theater Arts | The Writer's Voice | Dance | Arts Camp | Meet Our Instructors | Contact Us
SUBMIT A 10-MINUTE PLAY to the 2nd Annual 10-Minute Play Festival | May 4-5, 2018
An evening of 10-minute plays, (rehearsed, cast and directed) presented in the state of the art MSD Little Theater.
SUBMIT CHOREOGRAPHY to the 4th Annual Footprints Modern Dance Festival | May 17-19, 2018
FOOTPRINTS is a week-long dance festival that celebrates the work of emerging and established modern choreographers on the stage of the MSD Little Theater at the West Side YMCA. This 4th annual festival, curated by Amanda Selwyn, showcases innovative works of contemporary dance with a strong theatrical aesthetic.
UPCOMING | BUY TICKETS
Teen Theater Collective: Ella Grimm and the Real World
Ella, an outsider in the 6th grade, is bored and beleaguered by her parents, her school, and her life growing up in New York City. When she starts getting visited by a rotating lineup of characters from Grimm's Fairy Tales, her everyday humdrum existence is turned upside down. A comic and modern play for youth about the power of imagination and what it means to be the hero of your own story. This original piece will be created by in collaboration with the actors. Actors will work with the director to create original environments and characters that shift between the real world and the Grimm world ranging from the hyper realistic to the hyper ridiculous. Objects like books, fidget spinners, newspapers, jump ropes and umbrellas will be remixed and reimagined to bring our fairy tale world to life.
PERFORMANCES: December 16, 2017 2 & 6 PM | Ella Grimm Tickets
Kids Company SHOWCASE and Dance (Modern, Ballet, and Tap/Jazz) Performance
PERFORMANCE: Sunday, December 17 5 PM | Dance and Showcase Tickets
Writer's Voice STUDENT READING
Monday, December 18 6 PM | FREE
How to Get Published Conference (3rd Annual)
Saturday, February 3, 2018
Submit a Play for the 2nd Annual 10-Minute Play Festival
March 4-5, 2018
The Marjorie S. Deane Little Theater is a 145-seat proscenium theater located at 10 W. 64th St, between Lincoln Center Plaza and Central Park at the West Side YMCA. The theater is available for short-term rentals and is typically booked 6 Months - 1 Year in advance. The Marjorie S. Deane Little Theater provides space for live performances, industry showcases, professional performances, film screenings, board meetings, lectures, readings, rehearsals, workshops and more! SUBMIT A REQUEST For more information on rentals, please contact: Matthew Wilson, Technical Director and Theater Manager at email@example.com or 212-912-2633.
DOWNLOAD TECH PACKET
Not-For-Profit Rates -- $12,000/Week; $1,650/Performance Day; $1,800/Tech/Rehearsal Day
Commercial Rates -- $14,000/Week; $2,000/Performance Day; $2,200/Tech/Rehearsal Day
The Marjorie S. Deane Little Theater at the West Side Y is a non-profit, Off-Broadway Theater which exists to:
- Encourage the creative spirit in young people.
- Empower, educate, and maximize the potential of the young people and emerging artists.
- Serve our community by providing affordable and high quality professional arts performances, programming, training, education.
- Create and launch new and innovative works that inspire, entertain, and reflect our diverse community.
- Further the YMCA of Greater New York's mission of building healthy bodies, healthy minds, and healthy spirits.
Marjorie Schlesinger Deane (1923-2003) was a fifth-generation New Yorker with a passion for fashion and the theater. The Chairman of the Tobe Report, an influential advisory service and weekly journal, Ms. Deane was well known in the fashion industry for 60 years. She was the president of the Fashion Group, a founder of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, and a member of the Board of FIT. Mrs. Deane had a lifelong love and appreciation for the theater, ranging from Broadway to Off-Broadway shows to amateur productions and summer stock. In 2004, this theater was named after her by her family with the hope that the lives of others might be enriched by the arts.
Loading entrances and audience entrance for performances only at 10 West 64th street.
Directions to Loading Entrance at 10 West 64th Street
- MTA – 1, A, C, E, B, D trains to 59th street Columbus Circle. Walk NORTH to 5 West 63rd street between Central Park West and Broadway.
- From South Manhattan (Lincoln Tunnel) – Drive North on Broadway via Columbus Circle. Turn RIGHT onto W 64th street. The theater loading door is green.
- From North Manhattan (GW Bridge) – Drive South on Columbus Ave. Turn LEFT on West 64th street. The theater loading door is green.
- From East Manhattan – From North of 64th street, proceed to Columbus Ave and follow directions from North Manhattan. From South of 64th street, proceed to Broadway and follow directions from South Manhattan. (The theater suggests avoiding crossing through Central Park as Central Park West changes traffic directions at 62nd street and 64th street is one way Eastbound only.)
- From West Manhattan – 64th street is accessible from Columbus Ave or Broadway. Follow directions from North or South Manhattan.
- If the fire alarm sounds or emergency strobe lights are activated, please remain calm, a Fire Safety Director is on site at all times and will announce further instructions. In the event of a declared emergency Theater Staff will respond immediately and direct patrons with further instructions.
- If evacuation is necessary a member of the YMCA staff will direct you to the nearest exit and provide further instructions. It is very important to listen to instructions. Please do not attempt to re-enter the main area of the building. Evacuation plans are listed backstage, in the control booth and in each dressing room.
- If necessary all activated evacuations are MANDATORY. Theater Guests and all Company Members are to exit to 64th st and cross Central Park West. YMCA staff will direct guests to this meetup location.
- Notify Theater Staff of suspicious activities or persons. Security is available on site 24/7 and can respond immediately.
- Payments— All contracts must be paid in full prior to load in or entry to building may be denied
- Security Deposit— A security deposit is held for all rentals $500 for a single day and $1,500 for 2 or more days.
- Facility Access— is granted during the time of the contract only
- Breaks— House crews must be given a 1 hour meal break every 4 hours of work (5 Hours by special arrangement or performance packages) Crews are to be given a 15 minute break every 2 hours , or one 20 minute break if working less than 8 hours.
- Food and Drink— are strictly prohibited within the Theater, excluding closable bottles of water
- Smoking— is strictly prohibited in or around the Theater or YMCA
- Alcohol— is prohibited (Wine or Beer may be served at receptions by a licensed caterer or bartender)
- Supplies— The YMCA does not provide props, furniture or costumes for any production
- Special FX— The use of FOG/HAZE Machines is not allowed, all FX must be approved prior to load in.
- Point of Contact— An authorized member of the rental company must be present for all rentals
- Lost and Found— The YMCA is not responsible for lost/stolen or damaged items
- Insurance— A valid “Certificate of Liability Insurance” is required for all rentals
- Security— On site security 24 hours/day 7 days/week
- Schedules— must submitted and approved no less than 10 business days prior to rental
- Cancellations and Grievances-- Cancellation prior to the load-in date will result in forfeiting of any amounts paid to West Side YMCA at the time of cancellation. Deposits paid toward the rental, Box Office set up, and/or printings are non-refundable. Grievances — YMCA must be notified of grievances at time of occurrence. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of grievance and any associated refund requests.