New York City’s YMCA is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @ymcanyc.
As New York City grows and changes, so does the Y. Our strategic plan, Thriving New Yorkers, Stronger Communities, spanning 2018 through 2025, outlines the Y’s next chapter and illustrates how we will serve the City.
Our goals are big — expanding services to reach more youth, building new partnerships to promote health, and fostering connections to strengthen community. The plan is also incremental and strategic, with an emphasis on serving the City more efficiently and effectively, and using technology to help New Yorkers engage with the Y in new ways.
While we embark on this new plan, we remain true to the Y’s core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility, for staff and everyone we serve. Our Vision and Mission embody those principles, reaffirming the Y’s long-standing commitment to New York City, while focusing our work on areas where our strengths and expertise align with the City’s pressing needs.
At New York City’s YMCA, creating a safe and welcoming environment is a team effort.
We ask everyone — staff, members, and guests — to follow our Code of Conduct, which is based on our core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Speaking in respectful tones; refraining from the use of vulgar or derogatory language; and dressing appropriately.
- Resolving conflicts in a respectful, honest, and caring manner; never resorting to physical contact or threatening gestures.
- Respecting others by refraining from intimate behavior in public; abstaining from contact of a sexual nature.
- Respecting the property of others; never engaging in theft or destruction.
- Creating a safe, caring environment; never carrying illegal firearms or devices.
- Participating in programs to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body; never engaging in the use, sale, dispensing, or possession of illegal drugs or narcotics, or the unsanctioned use of alcohol on YMCA premises.
- Adherence to the YMCA Code of Conduct and regulations is essential.
Cooperation among staff, members and guests is an important part of making our YMCA welcoming to all. Suspension or termination of membership or employment with the YMCA may result from violating this Code of Conduct.