WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
Young people who are between the ages of 17 and 24 who are not enrolled in school, nor working.
HOW TO ENROLL
Contact the Y Roads Center in Jamaica to set up an intake and screening.
INCENTIVES AND BENEFITS
- Access to training that will help you get jobs, enter training programs, or college
- Membership to the YMCA
- Some programs provide stipends, or hourly wages
- Supportive services including mental health counseling, help getting benefits (housing, child care, health insurance, etc.)
- Help in organizing resume, preparing for interviews, and access to jobs/careers
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES AT THE Y ROADS CENTER - JAMAICA
Summer Employment Institute
- Get help with your resume
- Practice interviewing
- Job Search Skills
- Help with job applications
- Dressing for Success
- Body Language
- College counseling (Wednesday’s by appointment)
- Access to a computer lab
- Create your career portfolio
- Earn a certificate of completion when you complete all workshops!
Have questions or want to sign up? Call 646-597-7613
EARLY CHILDHOOD "LEARN AS YOU EARN" ADVANCEMENT PROGRAM (LEAP)
The Y’s LEAP Project, funded by the New York City Economic Development Corporation’s Learn As You Earn Advancement Program (LEAP) enables 45 participants to gain the skills, knowledge and experience necessary to become a successful youth worker in Early Childhood and school age programs. This is accomplished through classroom teaching and workshops where trainees complete formal learning and a paid internship where they gain applicable experience. A primary goal of the program is to ensure that trainees will be successful should they decide to apply for their Child Development Associate (CDA) Credential, or will graduate from an Associates program at a higher rate.
YOUNG ADULT INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
- Are you a young person that is between 16-24 years of age?
- Are you currently NOT in school or working?
- Are you a New York Resident?
- Would you like to earn up to $2,500?
The Young Adult Internship Program, or YAIP, provides job-ready 16-24 year-old young adults who are not working and not in school, placement into a short-term internship opportunity. Funded through the Mayor’s Center for Economic Opportunity (CEO), the program offers 14 weeks of paid orientation, training and work followed by 9 months of follow-up services and assistance for placement in permanent jobs, training programs and educational opportunities.
YAIP programs are located in community-based organizations in all five boroughs of New York City, and offer a range of placements in many industries, including construction, hospitality, healthcare, and retail.
OUT OF SCHOOL YOUTH
Are you between the ages of 17 and 21? Are you looking for work but lack the necessary skills? Do you need help in obtaining your high school equivalency diploma/GED? No experience required! TRAINING IS FREE and includes transportation and a lunch stipend!
Out of School Youth, or OSY, provides services to help youth upgrade their job skills and find permanent work. Funded through the federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA), the program offers occupational skills training in many industries, including construction, food service, tourism, healthcare, and retail, as well as assistance with job and college placement, GED preparation and support services. Participants also receive 12 months of follow-up services after completing the program.
OSY programs are located in community-based organizations in all five boroughs of New York City. Job opportunities with legal and financial services, medical offices, government based agencies, community based organizations, and an array of small businesses throughout NYC
- Preparation for two nationally recognized credentials -- Microsoft Office Specialist Certification and the National Retail
- Federation Customer Service Certification
- Public Speaking and Communications
- College Access assistance
- Work Readiness and Job Placement assistance
The Y Road Center in Jamaica is located in the historic Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning (JCAL)
161-04 Jamaica Ave
Jamaica, NY 11432-6112