|Shrimp (6-8 months)|
|Kipper (9-12 months)|
|Inia (13-18 months)|
|Perch (19-36 months)|
|PRESCHOOL (Ages 3-5)|
|Eel (Intermediate Beginner)*|
|Ray (Advanced Beginner)*|
|Starfish (Advanced Beginner)*|
|YOUTH (Ages 6-12)|
|Guppy (Advanced Beginner)*|
|Flying Fish (Advanced)*|
|TEEN (Ages 12-17)|
|Teen Advanced Beginner*|
The Y offers a progressive swim lesson program for youth of all ages. There are six, eight-week sessions throughout the year. Lessons are categorized by age and ability level - see the chart to the right for a full list of swim lesson levels.
›› Please note that a swim cap is required to enter our pools.
Registering for Swim Lessons
*All levels with an asterisk require that your child either pass the level prior or take a swim evaluation to register for the class.
Swim evaluations take approximately 10 minutes, are free and can be scheduled by contacting the Aquatics Director at your branch.
Members may register for classes up to two weeks prior the start of a session and non-members may register up to one week prior. Register >
The skills taught in our Aquatic Program center around five main components:
- Personal safety: Activities that help increase awareness of personal safety issues for both the child and the family, including boating safety
- Personal growth: Activities that help the child and the family grow in spirit, mind, and body, including character development
- Stroke development: Activities that help develop swimming abilities so participants can move in the water safely
- Water sports and games: Activities that help develop an appreciation of aquatic activities that may last a lifetime, including age-appropriate games and songs.
- Rescue: Activities that build awareness of how to help others in aquatic emergencies
Branch Aquatic Directors
|YMCA BRANCH||AQUATIC DIRECTOR||PHONE|
|NY Camp||Hillary Southardemail@example.com||845-858-2200|
|Coney Island||Oytun Tangulfirstname.lastname@example.org||718-215-6933|
|Cross Island||Lisa Losh / Diane DiPeriemail@example.com||718-479-0505|
|Long Island City||Mohinder Ranafirstname.lastname@example.org||212-912-2572|
|North Brooklyn||Heidi Ortizemail@example.com||718-277-1600|
|Prospect Park||Amy Whitsellfirstname.lastname@example.org||718-768-7100|
|S-I Broadway||Rom Statonemail@example.com||718-981-4933|
|S-I South Shore||Michael Creeganfirstname.lastname@example.org||718-227-3200|
|West Side||Melanie Torresemail@example.com||212-912-2676|
|Cabinet Chair||Mary O'Donoghuefirstname.lastname@example.org||212-630-9624|
|Executive rep||Erika Rautenstrauchemail@example.com||718-768-7100|